Embryo transfer day. It can be considered the most important part of IVF treatment. It usually take several fertility cycles to reach this stage. It is a sign that the treatment along with the medication are so far working all right and one or more embryos are ready for transfer. The day brings both joy and fear due to anticipation. But if you are getting the best IVf treatment, you have got nothing to worry about.
So you would ask yourself what must be done by you during, after and before this special day to ensure that the transfer goes successfully and the embryo gets implanted. The first thing you can do is set aside the myths and suggestions given to you by your inexperienced acquaintances, friends and other people around you.
Here are a few tips for a successful embryo transfer.
1. Choose an experienced doctor – You are the patient here and you are paying for the treatment. So you have all the rights to demand for an experienced doctor. Go for the best IVF doctor in Delhi. Make sure that a senior doctor is the one carrying out the embryo transfer. A steady hand is needed for the embryo transfer and only an experienced doctor can do that.
2. Regular tests are important – Many clinics would try to skip on few tests so as to save the cost. But you have already paid for most of them. And more importantly, thorough testing is a must before embryo transfer. You have reached so far and you wouldn’t want anything to go wrong now. Test such as hormone profiling, and in case of male, semen analysis is a must. Trans-vaginal scan of the fallopian tubes and ovaries should also be done.
3. Dummy embryo transfer – The embryo is precious and cannot be wasted. Therefore, ask your doctor to perform a dummy embryo transfer. The doctor might argue otherwise, but a dummy run can prove helpful. It can help identify any barriers to entry, if any.
4. Consider having 2 embryos transferred, if above 40 – With age, the chances for a successful fertility treatment decreases. Therefore, it is suggested to transfer two embryos, if you are over forty years of age, to increase the chances of successful implantation. However, it is warned that there are many cases of multiple pregnancies due to transfer of multiple embryos.
5. Folic acid along with multivitamin – Folic acid along with multivitamin supplements must be taken, not just by couples trying to conceive through IVF, but also by couples who are trying naturally. It decreases the chances of birth defects and also avoids post-delivery anaemia. However, you must consult your doctor as to what quantity of it must be taken.
6. Stay active – It is a myth that you need to head for the bed as soon as you get an embryo transfer. Instead, you must stay active. You must relax and sit upright. Go out for meal but avoid caffeine and alcohol. Take a stroll but avoid any strenuous task. Also avoid hot shower.
Follow these tips and do what the doctor tell you to do and you will be perfectly fine.